Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bryant Park

Today on my way home from work, I decided to stop by Bryant Park. It is a place of fond memories dating back prior to my move to the city. I use to frequent quite often but since I have moved to Brooklyn, too many days have passed between my visits there. Bryant Park is an 8 acre large park located at the intersection of 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue. What I have always loved most about this park is that even though it is bordered by heavily trafficked streets, once in the park the noise fades and I find it quite relaxing. In the winter season there is ice skating and though I don’t ice skate, I love to watch others.





The history of the Bryant Park starts in the 19th century, when it was known as Reservoir square as it was Croton reservoir that was constructed adjacent to the square in 1842. In 1884 the square was renamed Bryant Park after William Cullen Bryant, a poet and lawyer. He was one of the most influential advocates for abolition of slavery in the United States and one of the forces behind the creation of Central Park.





One of my favorite fountains which is located in Bryant Park, designed by Charles A. PlattCharles, the fountain is said to be New York City’s first public memorial dedicated to a woman. It was named for Josephine Shaw Lowell (1843 - 1905), a 19th century American social reform leader and philanthropist.





The fountain was at it’s winter best as the water had frozen as it fell and made for a beautiful piece of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment