Thursday, January 14, 2010

Life at the Dakota

I love starting a new book! Today on my way to work, I began reading Life at the Dakota. It is a book that covers a lot of social history and the lives of the rich who lived in an apartment building called the Dakota, built in 1884.





As early as 1870, an angry reader wrote the New York Times, demanding to know why the city was keeping empty land in Central Park “while the middle classes are being driven out of the city by excessive rents.”.

So far I am finding the book to be fascinating, as it describes in such a intriguing way the beginnings of this city, I have learned so much in only two chapters.

My favorite thing about finding a book I enjoy is that it makes the train ride seem so much faster.






You almost feel disappointed to reach your destination because you just want to keep reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment