Monday, January 4, 2010

Try Something New

Had a challenging conversation with a friend last night and the conversation lingered in my mind carrying over to today. So what is it as adults that stops a lot of us from trying new things or educating ourselves in something new? This is the question that has been running through my head today. I am not sure the answer but imagine it is mostly to do with the burden of the responsibly that we all carry. It is a simple thing to slip into a routine or should I say rut. I know I have and that is why this new push from my friend of trying something new everyday, even if it is as small as buying my coffee at a different café, has been a fun challenge.





The Chrysler Building, has always been my favorite in the Manhattan skyline. I think because it is unique and when I was first learning about New York, it was always the first building I could recognize. I have always admired it in the sky but never had actually stepped foot in the building itself, so I decided that after work today I would walk through the lobby.







Chrysler Building
Developer: Walter P. Chrysler
Architect: William Van Alen
Erected: 1930





The construction of the Chrysler Building was completed in 1930, with a total of 3,862 windows, 20,961 tons of structural steel, 391,881 rivits, and 3,826,000 brick.





The ceiling mural in the foyer, were restored in 1999, with a transport and human endeavor theme.



Chrysler Building"Art Deco in France found its American equivalent in the design of the New York skyscrapers of the 1920s. The Chrysler Building...was one of the most accomplished essays in the style."
—John Julius Norwich, in The World Atlas of Architecture




If I, a Florida girl, can accept this challenge and carry it out in the freezing cold, than you can to. Please join me and try something new! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment