Saturday, January 30, 2010

Laundry..Laundry.. Oh Laundry

I have always loved the roughness and brash honesty of many New Yorkers often perceived as rudeness. I realize those characteristics are odd to find endearing but I do and I can only reason that the endearment I feel must come from above. As you live here you come to realize that so much of their attitude comes from the tremendous about of energy, endurance, and strength it takes to survive in the city. After living here for two years now I can not believe that some people have lived this city life for decades the entirety of their live and for those who grew up in poverty, parenting their own siblings at a young age…you begin to have more sympathy and understanding for their harshness. Everything is a struggle, a walk, nothing comes easy and laundry is just one small taste of it. Laundry is something you can bond with anyone over kind of like the weather. Sorting it...getting in into bags…loading up the cart…and walking to the Laundromat two blocks away and praying there is a empty washing machine.

Yes today was that dreaded laundry day for me, the only day in which I am thankful I haven‘t fallen in love yet because I couldn‘t bare to carry any more laundry…

It's better to have loved and lost than to have to do forty pounds of laundry a week. Dr Laurence



It is a funny thing that people can relate to each other and the forever procrastination of needing to do laundry but putting it off as long as possible and even getting to the point where you would rather buy a new shirt. It’s just a funny part of living in the city. Whoever knew I would dream of one day having my very own washing machine…it’s a big dream but a possible one.

Here is a funny quote to leave you with….

I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, which is why I don't have any clean laundry, because, come on, who wants to wash clothes on the last day of their life?

2 comments:

  1. For those who have washing machines they don't have to go a long ways but they still put it off. I love your writing, very expressive and insighful concerning people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes you are right, I guess we tend to romanticize the things we don’t have in life. The procrastination of doing laundry is probably a more universal problem. :)

    ReplyDelete